As a new homeowner, you can look forward to a plethora of responsibilities above and beyond your mortgage payment. If you want to avoid unforeseen future expenses, it is smart to undertake seasonal maintenance of the systems that keep your home running efficiently and safely. HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) and plumbing are two critical systems in your home providing comfortable temperatures, air quality, energy efficiency, and waste disposal – all of which are truly necessary.
If you want to stay on top of things, read on for a comprehensive guide to HVAC and plumbing maintenance.
First and foremost, your HVAC system and your plumbing system are distinctly different in their functions.
HVAC includes a variety of appliances in your home such as forced-air heating and cooling systems, heat pumps, air conditioners, and furnaces. A lot of problems can occur with your HVAC, some more expensive than others. While it is not a glorious aspect of home maintenance, it is helpful to know what these problems are. Common issues for HVAC include:
1) Leaks – HVAC connector and drain lines have the ability to develop leaks and force the system to run harder than it should.
2) Corrosion – Any terminals or wires related to the HVAC system can fall victim to corrosion when metal comes in contact with moisture.
3) Dirt and Debris – All components, from filters to electric panels, can accumulate dust and dirt causing inefficiencies.
Plumbing systems are centered around water and waste in your home. Common issues seen with plumbing systems are:
1) Clogged Drains – sinks, toilets, and shower drains are all subject to clogging over time leading to expensive leaks and damage.
2) Water Imbalance – overusing your water system can lead to water pressure problems and issues with inconsistent water temperature/ heat.
HVAC and plumbing maintenance is important to undertake as a homeowner for proactive and preventative purposes, which means that this work is intended to help prevent future issues that come with high costs. In the long run, these critical home systems will not cost you a lot of money if you stay on top of preventative maintenance.
The first step in maintenance is to keep a sharp eye on any early indicators. Some usual indicators that bigger problems are on the way are:
Here are some maintenance suggestions that you can do yourself that are easy and have a great impact:
Are you feeling overwhelmed with the responsibility of HVAC and plumbing maintenance? If you are in the Central Pennsylvania area – call WM Buffington! Our team of trained professionals can help with all maintenance and many other plumbing and heating needs.