We’ve said it before, we’ll say it a million times: HVAC maintenance is vital!
We often don’t pay mind to our heating and cooling systems outside of adjusting the temperature. But an issue could be lurking right under your nose and it could go on to cause bigger issues down the line if it isn’t corrected. We recommend that homeowners should do an HVAC maintenance inspection at least once a year.
Luckily, this process is made easy through your trusted heating and cooling experts. Many HVAC pros offer maintenance plans you can opt into so you can easily schedule out your yearly inspection. These plans can save you a lot of time and money in the long run.
If you’re in the Central Pennsylvania area, WM Buffington is happy to be your go-to HVAC experts. Give us a call to find out more about our HVAC Maintenance Program!
In this article, we’ll share the top 5 reasons why an HVAC maintenance plan is so important. But first, let’s discuss what to expect during your inspection so you know where your money is going.
What Happens During an HVAC Maintenance Inspection?
Your HVAC professional will come to the inspection with one major goal in mind: making sure your heating and cooling system(s) is running as efficiently as possible. They will also inform you of your system’s overall condition and any potential upgrades you could add on.
Here are some of the tasks your professional will complete during your appointment:
- Clean the interior and exterior of your indoor and outdoor units
- Assure the thermostat and electrical connections are working properly
- Check refrigerant levels and replenish if necessary
- Replace air filter
- Lubricate moving parts
- Inspect ductwork for inefficiencies and leaks
- Clean out your heat exchanger
Top 5 Benefits of an HVAC Maintenance Plan
If you opt-in to an HVAC maintenance plan, you can expect the following benefits:
1. It Can Save You Money
Don’t let the fee to join up scare you away. In the long run, it will actually save you money. Heating and cooling problems can be expensive to fix. If you can get ahead of them during your yearly inspection, you might not have to invest as much money into fixing them.
Regular HVAC maintenance can also extend the life of your furnace. Usually, a furnace will last up to 20 years. But that lifespan can be slashed significantly if you’re not keeping up with regular maintenance.
Plus, many HVAC companies, like ourselves, offer discounts on certain repairs/installations and also reduce regular costs on fixes or diagnostics.
2. You’ll Use Less Energy
A healthy HVAC is an energy-efficient HVAC! When you get your system serviced, your HVAC professional will switch out filters, clean out various parts of your system, and check for any inefficiencies. Once your inspection is complete, you’ll be left with a renewed, more energy-efficient HVAC. This can be great for your wallet and the environment!
3. Your Home Will Be Safer
Cracked or damaged heat exchangers are one of the leading causes of carbon monoxide leaks. The colorless, odorless gas can even be harmful at low levels and can be deadly in high quantities. HVAC inspections can assure your heat exchanger is in good shape so you can sleep easy knowing your family is safe.
HVAC inspections can also prevent possible disasters while you’re away. If you go on vacation during the cold months of the year and your system shuts down, it could potentially snowball into an even more unpleasant situation. A home without heat could lead to frozen pipes, burst waterlines, and flooding. All of this can be prevented by regular HVAC maintenance.
4. It Can Improve Your Air Quality
According to the EPA, levels of airborne pollutants indoors could be 2-5 times higher than outdoor levels. Some common indoor allergens responsible for this include pet dander, dust, dust mites, and mold. Without proper ventilation, this can spell trouble for those with respiratory issues.
These common indoor pollutants can collect in your filters and air ducts over time. Regular maintenance will assure your system is clean and properly circulating clean air through your home.
5. You Can Avoid Major HVAC Problems
By taking care of the little things, you’ll avoid larger complications. An inspection of your HVAC system is supposed to include checking the moving parts. If multiple parts need to be replaced and you didn’t know, this would likely lead to a malfunctioning HVAC system. You’d then be wondering, “why didn’t I just purchase that HVAC maintenance plan that could have saved me money?”
All in all, deciding to move forward with an HVAC maintenance plan can give you peace of mind. You can go about your day-to-day life confident you likely won’t be surprised by any issues. As we mentioned, most professionals agree that it’s best to schedule an inspection at least once a year. But you can even extend that to twice a year to achieve even more assurance that your HVAC system is running smoothly.
How to Choose the Right HVAC Company for Your Maintenance Plan
Some people go with whoever shows up first on their list to hire as their HVAC company. Not you, you’re here doing your research, so let’s save you some time in discovering who should be your go-to HVAC contractor for the maintenance plan.
When vetting for a contractor, keep this checklist in mind:
- Is the HVAC contractor local? Always hire a local contractor rather than going with a corporation. Local contractors tend to put more heart and effort into their work because they care more about how you’re serviced. On top of that, they also have a better understanding of the area and can make more diligent decisions and better recommendations.
- Does the HVAC contractor have good reviews? Why would you go with an HVAC contractor with an aggregate rating of 3 out of 5 from 100 reviewers? Choose a contractor with a rating of 4 or above.
- Is the maintenance plan visible on the contractor’s website? You want all information in front of you before you call to get a quote. Once you call, you’ll most likely be looped into a sales conversation and may not be able to ask all of your questions. Be prepared already by researching the maintenance plan as it reads on the website.
- Does the maintenance plan include a full inspection of the entire unit and the full cleaning of the system? Full inspection and cleaning are must-haves. Why would they only have a look at the furnace without inspecting the air ducts for clean air?
- Is the HVAC contractor licensed and insured? Licensed and insured HVAC contractors are the only people you can trust to enter your home and expect nothing but the best service. If anything happens to your home while they are working on your HVAC system, the company can cover the costs through the insurance plan. Licensed HVAC contractors have proven their experience of dealing with HVAC situations in your local area.
- Does the maintenance plan include 24/7 emergency response and services? You have to be able to rely on your HVAC contractor. Otherwise, what’s the point of paying for a yearly plan if you aren’t on the top of the priority list?
- How much will this maintenance plan cost? Gather at least 3 quotes from your top picks of local HVAC contractors. You need to know exactly who is doing the best work at the best price.
Keep this checklist on hand as you search for the best HVAC contractor nearest your home. We hope you find the right business for the job!